I’m Wayne, a statistician with a passion in statistics education. I’ve worked as a professional data scientist in agriculture, social networks, and aerospace.
My current goals are to make statistical literacy a mandatory subject in high school. There are many reasons why I think this will make the world a better place. Reach out and we can have a chat :)
Teaching and Side Projects
I teach statistics courses with an applied focus. Applied work is not “easier” given real world problems are never easier than textbook problems. You will constantly be making trade-offs and learning more about how the data relates to other things. Also, applied work requires you to know some statistical theory. This will will inform you on how certain assumption violations may impact your goals and provide guidance on your data exploration.
My teaching philosophy is actually heavily influenced by my dance background:
- We learn through imitation
- We learn by contrasting old vs new learnings and our own vs other people’s perspectives
- We learn by trying to articulate our own ideas
There are three statistical concepts that I would like to teach to the world:
- Not all problems are data problems
- How to creatively think of “what else” that could explain the features in the dataset
- Proactively list out the data that can change your opinion?
I’m slowly compiling a statistics concept inventory overtime.
Thoughts & Writing
I have several thoughts around statistics, data science, dance, and life if you care to read about them: